Developing Mind Series - The Developing Lexicon: Representations and Processing
Macquarie University, Sydney, 26-27 April 2017
The lexicon forms the backbone for successful language development. However, despite its importance, little is known about how learners store and process phonological, morphological, syntactic and semantic aspects of lexical representations, and the role this plays in both language processing and speech planning.
This workshop brings together researchers working on the lexicon in language acquisition and development - using various methodologies and paradigms - to gain a better understanding of the architecture of the mental lexicon and its development. Submissions are welcome on all research exploring this issue in monolingual and multilingual children and adults, and in both typically developing and special populations (such as those with hearing impairments and language delays). The workshop will include keynote addresses and invited talks by experts in the fields of linguistics, computational modelling, cognitive science, and developmental psychology.
- Professor Paul Boersma (University of Amsterdam, Netherlands)
- Professor Paula Fikkert (Radboud University Nijmegen, Netherlands)
- Professor Bob McMurray (University of Iowa, USA)
Australian Hearing Hub, Macquarie University.
We invite submissions of anonymous abstracts for 30-minute talks including discussion, or posters. Submissions should be in PDF or Word format on one page (12pt, single-spaced), plus an additional page of figures, tables, and references as needed. Please send your abstracts to email@example.com by the deadline listed below.
- 29 January 2017 - Deadline for abstract submission
- 27 February 2017 - Notification of acceptance
- 16 April 2017 - Registration deadline
- 26-27 April 2017 - Workshop
- Katherine Demuth
- Titia Benders
- Laurence Bruggeman
- Carmen Kung
- Nan Xu Rattanasone
- Ivan Yuen
- Macquarie University Centre for Language Sciences (CLaS)
- ARC (Australian Research Council) FL130100014 and the Child Language Lab
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders (CCD)
Upcoming CCD Seminars
- Wednesday 29th Mar,
Professor Ocke-Schwen Bohn,
"Second language speech learning: Do cross-language phonetic ..."
- Friday 31st Mar,
Professor Paula Fikkert,
"Umlaut in the history of West Germanic with particular focus on Dutch. ..."
- Wednesday 12th Apr,
Dr Danielle Colenbrander,
"Morphological instruction for children with reading and spelling ..."
- Wednesday 19th Apr,
"Beginner guide to Magnetoencephalography (MEG)"