Dr Nicholas Badcock
BSc UWA, MPsych AppDev/PhD UWA.
Phone : +61 2 9850 4067
Fax : +61 2 9850 6059
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Homepage : http://www.ccd.edu.au/
Office : 3.728
Department of Cognitive Science
Australian Hearing Hub
16 University Avenue
Macquarie University NSW 2109
I completed a combined MPsych/Phd under the supervision of Dr John Hogben and Associate Professor Jan Fletcher at the University of Western Australia in 2008. My PhD research was focussed on applying the attentional blink in children and dyslexia. During this time I was heavily involved with Project KIDS working with Professor Mike Anderson in the Neurocognitive Development Unit.
Following this I worked with Professor Dorothy Bishop at The University of Oxford on the lateralisation of language processing using functional transcranial Doppler ultrasonography in adults and toddlers.
Since returning to Australia I have continued my association with Project KIDS at the NDU and am now a postdoctoral research fellow at Macquarie University. With Associate Professor Genevieve McArthur I am working on cognitive preparation and its relationship with reading.
- ARC CCD Cross Program Support Scheme (2013) "The generalisation of a perceptual anchoring eficit in dyslexia." Badcock, N., Ewing, L., Rhodes, G., McArthur, G., & Jeffery, L. ($20,117)
- Macquarie University Research Development Grant (2012 - 2014) "The role of temporal attention in developmental dyslexia: How does foreperiod affect single-target processing?" Badcock, N.A., McArthur, G., & Badcock, D.R. ($47,188)
Note that we are currently in the process of collecting CCD member publication data. For a complete record of this members publications visit their host intitution website.
- Badcock, N.A., Badcock, D.R., Fletcher, J. & Hogben, J. (2013). The role of preparation time in the attentional blink. Vision Research, 76, 68-76. doi:10.1016/j.visres.2012.10.010
- Rosch, R.E., Bishop, D.V.M., & Badcock, N.A. (2012). Lateralised visual attention is unrelated to language lateralisation, and not influenced by task difficulty – A functional transcranial doppler study. Neuropsychologia, 50(5), 810-815. doi:10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2012.01.015
- Badcock, N.A., Nye, A., & Bishop, D.V.M. (2012). Using functional transcranial Doppler ultrasonography to assess language lateralisation: Influence of task and difficulty level. Laterality, 17(6), 694-710. doi:10.1080/1357650X.2011.615128
- Badcock, N.A., Holt, G., Holden, A., & Bishop, D.V.M. (2012). dopOSCCI: A functional transcranial Doppler ultrasonography summary suite for Matlab. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 204(2), 383-388. doi:10.1016/j.jneumeth.2011.11.018
- Badcock, N.A., Bishop, D.V.M., Hardiman, M.J., Barry, J.G., & Watkins, K.E. (2012). Co-localisation of structural and functional brain abnormalities associated with Specific Language Impairment. Brain and Language, 120, 310-320. doi:10.1016/j.bandl.2011.10.006
- Groen, M.A., Whitehouse, A.O.J., Badcock, N.A., & Bishop, D.V.M (2012). Does cerebral lateralization develop? A study using functional transcranial Doppler ultrasound assessing lateralization for language production and visuospatial memory. Brain and Behavior, 2(3), 256-269.
- Badcock, N.A., Hogben, J., & Fletcher, J. (2011). Dyslexia and practice in the attentional blink: Evidence of slower task learning in dyslexia. Cortex, 47(4), 494-500. doi:10.1016/j.cortex.2010.03.002
- Groen, M.A., Whitehouse, A.O.J., Badcock, N.A., & Bishop, D.V.M. (2011). Where were those rabbits? A new paradigm to determine cerebral lateralisation of visualspatial memory in children. Neuropsychologia, 49(12), 3265-3271. doi:16/j.neuropsychologia.2011.07.031
- Bishop, D.V.M., Badcock, N.A., & Holt, G. (2010). Assessment of Cerebral Lateralization in Children using Functional Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound (fTCD). Journal of Visualised Experiments, 43, e2161. doi: 10.3791/2161
- Whitehouse, A.O.J., Groen, M.A., Badcock, N.A., & Bishop, D.V.M. (2009). Reliability of a novel paradigm for determining hemispheric lateralization of visuospatial function. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 27, 1-5. doi:10.1017/S1355617709990555
- Badcock, N.A., Hogben, J., & Fletcher, J. (2008). No differential attentional blink in dyslexia after controlling for baseline sensitivity. Vision Research, 48, 1497-1502. doi:10.1016/j.visres.2008.03.008
- Badcock, N.A., Mousikou, B., Mahajan, Y., de Lissa, P., Thie, J., & McArthur, G. (2012). Emotiv versus Neuroscan: Validating a gaming EEG system for research quality ERP measurement [Abstract]. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience Conference Abstract: ACNS-2012 Australasian Cognitive Neuroscience Conference. doi:10.3389/conf.fnhum.2012.208.00122
- Hartland, A., Kohler, M., Churches, O., Keage, H., Badcock, N.A., Spooner, R., & Elliot, S. (2012). Language lateralisation and cognitive performance in young children: A functional transcranial Doppler study [Abstract]. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience Conference Abstract: ACNS-2012 Australasian Cognitive Neuroscience Conference. doi:10.3389/conf.fnhum.2012.208.00122
Published Conference Proceedings
- Badcock, N.A., Anderson, M., Hogben, J., & Fletcher, J. (2006). Speed of processing, time and interference in the attentional blink: Application to children. In (Ed.), In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Development and Learning Bloomington, IN: .
Conference Presentations, Colloquia, and other presentations
- Badcock, N.A. (2012, September). The attentional blink in dyslexia: Where’s the problem? Invited presentation given at the Attention and Perception Seminar Series, University of Sydney, Sydney.
- Badcock, N. (2012, May). Introduction to careers in Psychology. Invited presentation given at the Normanhurst Boys' High School, Sydney.
- Badcock, N.A., & Anderson, M. (2012, April). Development of the attentional blink in children: Selective attention and automaticity. Paper presented at the 39th Australasian Experimental Psychology Conference (EPC), Sydney.
- Badcock, N.A., Nye, A., Rosch, R., & Bishop, D.V.M. (2011, December). Lateralization of language and spatial skills is not affected by task difficulty: A functional Transcranial Doppler Ultrasonography investigation. Paper presented at the Australasian Cognitive Neurosciences Conference (ACNC), Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- Badcock, N.A. (2011, November). The Attentional Blink and Dyslexia: Where does it go wrong? Paper presented at the Annual Workshop of the ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders (CCD), Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia.
- Badcock, N.A. (2011, September). Endogenous Attentional Control in Children born Prematurely: An Attentional Blink Investigation. Invited presentation given at the King Edward Memorial Hospital Seminar Series, Subiaco, Australia.
- Tuesday 21st May,
Dr Fiona Maccullum,
"Autobiographical memory, self-identity and emotion regulation in prolo..."
- Friday 24th May,
Prof. Damian Farrow ,
"ANTICIPATORY EXPERTISE IN SPORT: PROGRESS & CHALLENGES IN UNDERSTANDIN..."
- Friday 31st May,
Prof Colin Clifford,
"Towards a functional architecture for gaze perception"
- Wednesday 5th Jun,
"Macquarie University MATLAB Day"